Potato and Bacon Au Gratin Recipe
Potato and Bacon Au Gratin
This has become one of our favourite potato recipes for its delicious flavour and its ease of preparation.
- 2 ½ lbs. potatoes – red or yukon gold
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half cream
- ¾ cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- ¼ cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 1/3 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup grated asiago or parmigino-reggiano cheese
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the potatoes, chicken broth and half and half cream in a 12-inch skillet. Add ½ tsp. salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Simmer, partially covered over medium to medium low heat, stirring occasionally and gently with a rubber spatula until barely tender when pierced with a fork, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Caramelize the onions and garlic in 2 tbsp. of butter over low heat until soft and golden.
- When the potatoes are barely tender, use a slotted spoon to transfer half the potatoes to a greased gratin dish, spreading them evenly.
- Layer over the caramelized onion and garlic, bacon and parmesan. Spread over the remainder of the potatoes and pour over any liquid remaining in the pan.
- Evenly scatter over the pecans, parsley and grated asiago or parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
- Bake the gratin until it is bubbly, the top is brown and the potatoes are completely tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let the gratin sit for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes to fully absorb the liquids.
Notes: You can prepare the potatoes up to the baking stage at least one hour ahead. The leftovers also reheat well. Just cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
To learn more about Webber’s Lodges Award-Winning wild game cookbooks please visit: